MERRILL R. COHEN is one of New York's new breed of savvy immigration lawyers.    New York Law Journal    Magazine.

Super Lawyers Distinction 2016, 2015, 2014, and 2013 - Merrill Cohen

C - Visas : Transit

Quick Overview


C-1 Transit Visa General Information: The C-1 Transit Visa is a non immigrant visa that allows foreign nationals to enter the United States while transiting to another foreign country. The C-1 Transit Visa can be used to travel in and out of the United States when your final destination is another country. Individuals with a valid B-1 Business or B-2 Tourist Visa do not need to obtain a US Transit Visa. Any other valid non immigrant visa may not be used to transit through the United States. Individuals from Visa Waiver countries do not need to obtain a C-1 Transit Visa. Please note: The Transit Without Visa (TWOV) program and International-to-International (ITI) program were both suspended by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Department of State on August 2nd, 2003.



C-1 Transit Visa Eligibility Requirements: Most foreign nationals traveling through the United States to another foreign destination are eligible for a C-1 Transit Visa. C-1 Transit Visa holders may stay for a maximum of 29 days in the United States. C-1 Transit Visa holders are required to leave the United States on the proposed flight or ship of departure, or within 29 days, whichever is earlier. Some applicants may be required to apply for a B-1 Business Visa or a B-2 Tourist Visa in order to visit the United States. Travelers with a passport from a Visa Waiver country do not need to obtain a transit visa. Additional information can be found in the C-1 Transit Visa application guide.

Contact Our Firm »