MERRILL R. COHEN is one of New York's new breed of savvy immigration lawyers.    New York Law Journal    Magazine.

Super Lawyers Distinction 2016, 2015, 2014, and 2013 - Merrill Cohen

M - Visas : Non - Academic Students

The M-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa for international students who wish to pursue a course of study that is not principally academic in nature.  Spouses and dependents of M-1 students are classified as M-2 non-immigrants.


NOTE:  The M-1 category contains restrictions on employment, maintenance of status, transfer, and extension of stay that are not present in the F-1* category. Also, there are many fewer M-1 than F-1 students* overall. Unfamiliarity with the M-1 status on the part of US Consulates, Customs & Border Protection (CBP) and other agencies can cause various errors that impact the M-1 student. Be sure that any documents and stamps that you receive (visa, I-94 card, entry stamps) are marked as ?M-1?.


If you would like to study as a full-time student in the United States, you will need a student visa. There are two nonimmigrant visa categories for persons wishing to study in the United States. These visas are commonly known as the F and M visas.


The M-1 visa (Vocational Student) category includes students in vocational or other nonacademic programs, other than language training.


M-1 students may engage in practical training only after they have completed their studies.


For both F-1 and M-1 students any off-campus employment must be related to their area of study and must be authorized prior to starting any work by the Designated School Official (the person authorized to maintain the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)) and USCIS.

Contact Our Firm »