MERRILL R. COHEN is one of New York's new breed of savvy immigration lawyers.    New York Law Journal    Magazine.

Super Lawyers Distinction 2016, 2015, 2014, and 2013 - Merrill Cohen

P - Visa for Athletes and Entertainers

P Visas are temporary visas that allows artists, entertainers and athletes to work or, in the case of athletes, to compete in tournaments, on a temporary basis in the United States. Spouses and unmarried children under 21 may obtain dependent P visa status, but if they wish to work in the U.S., they must obtain their own, independent visa sponsorship in a category that allows them to work.

P-1 visas are issued to either individuals or teams/groups that qualify. The P-1 athlete may train in the US for his tournaments, but is only allowed to compete in tournaments or perform in exhibition-stylet matches. He is not allowed to coach other athletes. (If the athlete wishes to coach, he/she must obtain an O-1 visa or an EB-1 green card.)

P-1 is for internationally-recognized athletes or artists.

P-2 is for entertainers, either individually or as members of a performance group that is part of a reciprocal exchange program with a U.S. organization.

P-3 is for those who perform in a ‘culturally-unique performance’.

Video Overview

Contact Our Firm »